Wednesday, March 26, 2008

double date

Last Wednesday, I drove down to Chicago to meet with Aaron Reynolds, who's writing the next book I'm illustrating, The Carnivore Club. We had a serious discussion about, among other things, animals wearing hats, and the comedic principle that a shark getting wheeled around in a bathtub is funnier than a shark walking on its fins (originally proposed by Sid Caesar, I believe), before heading out for dinner at a place called Carnivale. I always have a tough time distinguishing between various Latin cuisines, but the abundance of plantain and pork products on the menu clued me in that restaurant was probably Cuban-themed. In any case, they made the best raspberry mojito I've ever tasted. Yum.

The following Saturday, I was in the car again, this time heading to the fabled Brat Stop, where, for the second time, I lunched with my boy Matt Cordell. He brought along a couple of books by Saul Steinberg and Jean-Jacques Sempé that were just jaw-dropping, along with some samples of his own work which are nothing to sneeze at, either. Here's an image from his upcoming picture book, TOOT! TOOT! ZOOM! (written by Phyllis Root, to be published by Candlewick in the Spring of 2009):

5 comments:

Missy said...

Is that a saber tooth fox??

I love it.

My partner and I are taking the Megabus (and a couple ambien) to Chicago Memorial Day weekend. I am so stoked.

We are taking the Megabus to save money to do things and buy comics and art in Chicago.

Anonymous said...

Agreed: Shark in tub is definitely funnier than shark on fins.

Matthew Cordell said...

Thanks for the plug, Jeff! Looking forward to our next vent session.

Anonymous said...

So cool that 2 awesome artists and writers are forging a great relationship. You 2 should do a book together.

A.J. said...

Cool. I just moved to Chicago like two months ago. I'm still cold.
A.J.