Wednesday, February 14, 2007

good looking

It's weird, before I was asked to be on Drawn!, I had never heard of the website before, and now I can't go a day without looking at it. It's a source of inspiration, frustration, and depression all at once (the frustration and depression stemming from the incredible wealth of talent on display; it's sickening).

One of the featured websites that makes me want to throw up in my mouth, recently, is Sac Magigue. I wish I could draw and paint like this, but I'm too much of a control freak to ever let things be as weird and unfinished as some of Robin Ellis's (the not-so-secret identity of Sac Magigue) images. I keep on trying, anyway.

His work reminds me of another artist I kind of stumbled across by accident, Keith Herzik, whose website kept me sane over the six plus months of work on Hippo! No, Rhino. Whenever I got too tight, cursing my own hand for sabotaging my grand vision, for tainting my masterpiece, I'd pop on over there and remind myself that making pictures is fun.

By a similar accident, I also found the work of Jennifer Sullivan, who does some pretty cool stuff (paintings, marker drawings, sculpture) along the same lines as Robin and Keith. Her work has the immediacy of a drawing done over lunch period in middle school, while half-engaged in a conversation with your friends, and I couldn't mean that in a better way.

No comments: