Monday, March 5, 2007

the waiting game

I used to think of myself as a patient person, but it's impossible to pretend that I am, anymore. Instant (or at least, consistent) gratification seems scarily vital to me, now, and I'm not sure I like it (on the other hand, I don't know how to fight it). I think part of the reason why I started this blog is because it satisfies that ever-growing part of me that needs to see results yesterday.

Right now is a particularly frustrating time for me, as I wait for my editor's comments on my developing picture book that I alluded to way back when. There's nothing to do but wait until he's finished, and even when the waiting's done, there may be more revisions, which will be sent back to my editor to await, possibly, more comments. Additionally, the book is being brought to another imprint. That means that a new art director (hopefully, someone who doesn't think the book is junk) has to be appointed. At present, I'm approximating a release date sometime in early 2032.

I'm down about it, but I shouldn't be, especially with all the great things happening lately. In some way, though, it's those very things that are making me anxious to get moving. I've written a book that folks have actually read (and some of them even liked it). I've got a good head a steam built up, but what good is that when you've got nowhere to go?

No comments: