Tuesday, May 8, 2007

tuesdays with june

The following is a transcript of the first in a series of interviews with my cat, in which she reminisces about her pre-adoptive life. We call it "Tuesdays with June".

NEWMANPICTURESBLOG: Okay...here we...all set? Yes, all set...June.

JUNE: Yes.

NPB: June, how are you tonight?

JUNE: I'm fine.

NPB: Maybe you can tell the people where you are right now?

JUNE: In my apartment.

NPB: (laughs) But where, specifically?

JUNE: In the bathroom sink.



NPB: And why are you in the bathroom sink?

JUNE: I think the question is, why are you not in the bathroom sink?

NPB: (laughs) Okay...so, your life...We've been living together for, what, almost two years, now?

JUNE: Yes.

NPB: And life's pretty good, huh?

JUNE: I'm fine. A little thirsty, maybe.

NPB: Oh. Well, here, just...let me turn on the faucet. Just...can you just shift over a little bit?

JUNE: Don't touch me.



NPB: Sorry, sorry...there...okay, there.

(lapping noises)

NPB: How's that? Better?

JUNE: I'm fine. A little tired, maybe.

At this point, June requested we move the interview to a pile of dirty clothes in the closet.

NPB: All settled in?

JUNE: Yes.

NPB: Great. Um, maybe we should start with where you were born?

JUNE: Maycomb was an old town, but it was a tired old town when I first knew it. In rainy weather the streets turned to red slop; grass grew on the sidewalks, the courthouse sagged in the square. Somehow, it was hotter then...

NPB: I-I'm sorry. Um...I don't want to interrupt, but...

JUNE: It's fine.

NPB: Isn't that, uh, from To Kill a Mockingbird?

JUNE: I don't believe so, no.



NPB: Oh, okay...but I thought, maybe...

JUNE: This interview is over.

Join us next time for the second part of the "Tuesdays with June" series, when we discuss my cat's biological family, and she shares her recipe for fish tarts.

1 comment:

Amy Torrey said...

I love the picture of June in the sink. what a honey!